Still Standing "Monologue Written in 12th Grade"


I come from very dangerous place where it takes almost 15 minutes for the cops to arrive to a crime scene. I come from a place where people live paycheck to pay check. Where people dream of the next fix, and when they could actually walk out the house and wont worry about being robbed or mugged. Just a few make out and make something of themselves. I originate from Compton, California. The city that has one of the highest crime rates in the United States.  I learned at a young age that where you come from does not affect your future; take my mother for example she grew up poor lived in a three room house with nine other siblings sharing a bed with three sisters but now she has all four of her degrees up to a doctorates.” You come into this world with nothing and the purpose of your life is to make something out of nothing”, those words by Samuel Butler stick in my head when I get discouraged.

         Since the age that I was able to comprehend what college was and what it was all about I wanted to get there one day. “It’s the key to success, the American dream.” Many people have told me over the years. I have come from anger problems, fighting, and many trials and tribulations to get to where I am today. An honor student who try’s her best to be respectful to everyone. the past has made me who I am today. I can see myself in many different situations over the years I have wanted to become a number of different things from models, marinebiologist, orthodontist, to forensic scientist. But after taking AP Biology stop rewind those weren’t for me.

         At times I felt sorry for myself because I didn’t know what I wanted to become in life so I started to take a deeper look at myself I noticed that I loved to argue point of views, loved to read, research, and write. I want to become a District Attorney for whatever state I end up and I strive to bring rapist, abusive parents, and people who committee Hanis crimes against Women and children to justice and put them behind bars for a very long time, which has been my passion since I started watching Law and Order SVU in 10th grade. I know I can achieve my goals for the near future with hard work and dedication. I hope to be wearing the cute pants and skirt suits and walking into the court preparing to win my case and putting a wrong doer behind bars for a long time. How I will reach these goals are all planned out and reachable. Alan Key wrote the words that remain true and understandable “ The only way to predict the future is to invent it” meaning the only way to understand and know the future is to make your own future. I have seen how I don’t want to live and is trying everything in my power to reach my goals and aspirations so I can become Davita L. Washington the most sought after Criminal District Attorney in the United States.  

 


No comments:

Post a Comment